Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I moved quickly in slippers, hoping to get a closer photograph.   Instead, I landed on my a-- in 4" of fresh snow.











Recent research on how prolonged periods of sitting affect our health has got me thinking about ways to reduce my time in the chair.  Although I do try to run at least three times a week, I can get absorbed in research and spend an entire day sitting.   I'm not a big fan of the treadmill.  I hate being in the dark cool basement looking at shelves of stored crap while I exercise.  I'd much rather be outside breathing fresh air and enjoying the scenery.  Fifteen minutes on the treadmill feels like an eternity.

Yesterday, I tried something new.  I hopped on the treadmill, walked at a slow speed and whipped up a first draft.  The surface of the machine was flat and predictable.  If I had attempted this outside, I most certainly would have stumbled on a stick, rock, hole or curb.  I figured one hour on the treadmill would be enough to accomplish something.  Often times I've sat in a chair for a half hour trying to get a first draft going and ended up nowhere.  On the treadmill, I got right to it, as if I'd set a timer.  I was delighted that after two miles of walking, I had a decent first draft.  I will try this again, possibly today, to make sure it wasn't a fluke.  

No comments:

Post a Comment