Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ideas are always evolving. Nails are out for securing wolf tracks to the ground. While in the cellar browsing the glass jars filled with screws and nails, I remembered. When I was a kid, unknowingly, I stepped through the snow onto a board with a nail sticking out of it. I ended up with a puncture wound in the arch of my foot and a tetanus shot too. Walking was painful for a while.

Interesting that both classes that I'm teaching reminded me of childhood incidents. In preparation for the jellyfish class, I searched for fluorescent items in the fishing section of an fishing/hunting store. I passed fishing lures with shiny fake fish hanging from them. As a kid, after a swim, I climbed on the dock. Dangling from my knee was a lure like that. Thankfully, there happened to be a doctor nearby. He removed the hook the only way he could - forward breaking the skin again, snipping the hook, then backing out. Oh that hurt! The end result was another tetanus shot. When I hear some say catching fish and releasing them doesn't hurt them, well, I have a VERY different opinion. Been there. Rather then risk leaving one nail on the ground, I'll likely use a metal weight secured underneath with packing tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment