Sunday, September 27, 2009

I'm alright, I'm alright
It only hurts when I breathe
(Lyrics from Breathe by Melissa Etheridge)

And when I walk. And when I sleep. I had a wretched night of sleep with a foot that gave me a constant stream of pain. My husband, who received his doctorate from TrailRunner magazine (April 2009, issue 58, p37) thinks I have Plantar Fasciitis which I have taken to calling plantar facetious because it's easier to say. It's also called heel spurs. I think he's right. I've never heard of this, but was amazed at how many people I met that either had it (including my own brother) or knew of it. None have great memories.

I was told one way to cure the problem is a shot of cortisone in my heel. The thought of a needle piercing my hard crusty heel brings back flashbacks of a little girl playing in the snow. Danger lurked beneath a thick layer of fluffy ice crystals. Wearing snow boots, the child stepped on a nail she could not have seen. There are more memories of a puncture wound, a tender foot and being carried to Sunday school class by a kind man.

The brochure is done, but the thought of standing to present it is not pleasant right now. I'm thinking ahead, to future published articles, and how I can turn those into exciting programs. Hm. There's a big challenge there.









No comments:

Post a Comment