Monday, July 25, 2011

Chautauqua - First Day



To get into the Chautauqua Institution you have to go through one of the gates. You'd think the President was coming with all the security they have there. Every trip in and every trip out requires a scan of a ticket.

That first day I wandered the grounds walking all four of the streets that ran parallel to the lake. When I found the bell tower, why of course I wanted to climb to the top, but that was no-no. Carolyn Benton, the chimemaster who wanted this job since she was five, asked me what hymn or fun song I wanted to hear from her lists. Since I was there for a writing conference, I selected "I Could Write a Book." Since I was not familiar with what I was requesting, she could have played any old thing and I never would have caught on.

No comments:

Post a Comment