Saturday, May 10, 2008

Here's an email I received from Unilever on May 8th. On April 21st I posted a link to a video of suppliers chopping down the Indonesian rainforest to obtain palm oil. I emailed Unilever, a major company that uses palm oil in their products. They responded with this letter. In it they wrote that on May 1st 2008, we "announced our support for an immediate moratorium on any further deforestation in Indonesia for palm oil cultivation." Unilever posted a video on their website. In the video they claim the Indonesian Government must help monitor the rainforests. I totally agree. It seems to me if google maps viewed via satellite or google earth can zoom in on houses then why can't we monitor rain forests this way? Is there such a thing as a satellite that stays put and does not orbit? Why not put a motor on a satellite so it goes in the opposite direction and at the same speed as its orbit? Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment