Sunday, November 19, 2017

Agent-Editor Day

Ragged Mountain - Metacomet Trail
In early November I drove to Devens Massachusetts for Agent-Editor Day. It was my first time attending this workshop and by the look of things, it's pretty popular.  I brought two manuscripts that I thought were ready to submit. During the morning session, my manuscript was read by the person to my left. During the afternoon session, I read my own work.  Critiquing was done primarily by the agent or editor that was at the table. If there was time, other writers chimed in with their thoughts.

Love this hike!
I learned that my ideas were marketable. Both the agent and editor that reviewed my work thought the concepts were good ones. However, I discovered the manuscripts that I thought were ready to roll, needed to be hauled into the shop for some small repairs. I got some great advice that I believe has improved both pieces. I was also impressed by the work of my fellow writers.

Rock climbers scale this cliff.
If you're going to this next year, here are some tips:
  • Bring your best work, the stuff you think is ready to submit. You might be surprised.
  • Bring two different manuscripts. The folks that brought the same manuscript to the morning and afternoon sessions got the same advice.
  • Pick out which manuscripts you want to bring before you register.
  • Decide who you want to sit with before you register and have a backup person ready too. You will be at your assigned tables most of the day, so there isn't much opportunity to network with the other agents and editors.
  • If you have questions about your manuscript, you can ask those after the agent/editor is done critiquing. 
  • It was helpful for me to take notes while the agent/editor was speaking about my work.
  • You can also learn by listening to the critique advice given to others.   
To think I've lived in this state my entire life and I've never hiked Ragged Mountain, and what a hike it was! Take the trail on the left to get to the cliffs and the scenic vistas. There are more lookouts when you reach the Metacomet Trail. I will be back.   

No comments:

Post a Comment