Thursday, August 22, 2019

Conference-Vacation Packing Tips

Aiguille du Midi, French Alps

This year, I traveled to two conferences and extended the dates of my stay, making them vacations too. Since I don't waste time and money checking bags, packing was a huge challenge. To make things more difficult (of course), I brought my laptop. I love typing and rearranging my notes on the spot, but the device adds weight to my bag. For one trip, I also needed clothes for temperatures that ranged from below freezing to 107°F. Talk about challenges. 
This is the afternoon temp.

I needed that warm jacket.
Here are some of my packing tips:
1. Pants - Convertible pants (roll-up or zip-offs) do double duty as pants and capris. (Prana Halle). 
2. Shirts - Nicer sleeveless shirts work under a blazer and also with shorts.
3. Packable down coat - lightweight and doesn't take up much space (Patagonia Nano Puff) - I tested this jacket out beforehand. It's warm, but on a windy day, you need a windbreaker over it, so I brought one.
4. Lightweight travel blazer (Uniqulo jersey blazer)
5. Underwear - ExOfficio -2-3 pair for a 2 1/2 week vacation
6. Downy Wrinkle Releaser - 3 oz. This stuff works great, but it's a liquid so it does take up valuable space in your one quart bag.
7. Makeup - Rather than bring a heavy glass container, I put it in a plastic contact lens case.  
8. Toothbrush - I cracked off the handle and threw out the toothbrush before returning home.


Sénanque Abbey in Gordes, France - It was over 100°F that day.

Instead of dealing with laundry, I washed out my things in the sink with shampoo and body wash. After rolling them in a towel, I hung them up to dry. Despite all of my efforts, my backpack was still pretty heavy, but I had everything I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment