Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Arches National Park



This past week I listened to audio and video from a research trip.  The video that Walt took was an excellent record of the visit.  From the video I learned that camping the night before on site research wasn't such a good thing.  Did I brush my hair?   It cracked me up when Walt asked numerical type questions and zoomed in on some math angles on a notebook.  The whole time, I was constantly juggling a notebook, pen, DVR and camera.   

Overall, the video was the best record, but I think for a solo visit, putting my eye through a camcorder might get in the way of absorbing the material or it might appear that I'm not paying attention.  It would be nice to have a writer's toolbelt, similar to what construction workers wear.  I think I will hunt for a strap so the camera can dangle from my neck where it's easily accessible, but frees me from carrying it.      

I've been working hard, maybe too hard.  Two items are getting very close to mailbox ready.   

I've been to Arches twice in the summer and although it is quite beautiful, the scorching sun beats down and there aren't many trees for shade.  We spotted this gnarly tree on the path to Landscape Arch.  We also encountered a long-nosed leopard lizard with interesting coloring.   After a bit of research, I've come to the conclusion this is a female because of the bright orange spots that occur during breeding.  I'm still marveling that we were there at the right time to see the unusual spots.  See, summer isn't such a bad time for a visit after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment