Friday, October 12, 2012

This past week I spoke to an editor.  During the phone conversation, some of the things I mentioned got misinterpreted.  Perhaps I didn't explain my thoughts well enough or maybe the conclusions were a stretch?  For example, I may be disappointed when an editor moves out of editing science books, but that doesn't mean I'm pessimistic about the direction of the industry.  Au contraire.  This line of thinking brought me to the subject of climate change.

Often the words of scientists, writers and speakers on this controversial subject are challenged, misinterpreted and distorted.   It is amazing that despite a sinkhole of research by scientists all over the world, there are attempts to convolute the facts by mixing science with religion and politics.  As a writer who writes about climate change, I can expect that some day my words, written or spoken, may be misinterpreted, distorted or challenged.  When that day comes, I want to be ready to fire back an arsenal of proof. 


These photographs were taken at Woods Hole Mass.  One speaker discussed how eel grass was vanishing in the estuaries on the Cape.  David, my partner-in-crime, was studying an old piece of cedar found on a Cape Cod beach.    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment