Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The lacy look of a snow-dipped blue spruce
Today my recording equipment arrived and it works beautifully.  Yes! 

On 11/25/12 I emailed the legislature because I was dismayed that they were not recognizing climate change as a problem.  Here are the first two paragraphs:

As representatives of this entire nation, it is imperative that you understand the issues so you can act upon them.  Climate change is a complex problem.   In essence, it’s a chemistry problem.  Society needs to address this controversial issue now, but progress is slow because the words of scientists, writers and speakers are challenged, misinterpreted and distorted. 

As a science writer, it is my job to translate science for the general public.  I’m writing to give you a deeper understanding of this important problem.  If you need further information, I invite you to contact these organizations and talk to other climate science writers or chemists.
    
National Association of Science Writers
The Society of Environmental Journalists
The American Chemical Society

I then went on to explain the science.  Granted I could have listed a zillion websites, research facilities or scientists, but I was aiming to give them places that would explain the science in a way that politicians could understand.   I was heartened to hear these words at the inauguration, "We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations."   I'd like to think that in some small way I made a difference, but I suspect they were inundated with emails and letters after the debate where the topic was not mentioned.  It's interesting to note that now, two months later, two of the ten links in my email no longer work.    One was a university in Minnesota.  The other was a government site in Idaho.  Thankfully, it doesn't diminish the main idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment