Wednesday, February 26, 2014

This morning, I woke up with the uneasy feeling of being stranded.  It was like I had been in a filled stadium, but now the people were gone and the bleachers were empty.   It reminded me of standing in the cold rain, wondering if my ride was ever going to arrive.  The feeling was strangely familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on any time in my life where I was stranded.  Then it occurred to me, it was the same feeling you get when you don't know whether a school bus is late or you missed it.  I spent many years waiting for school buses.  It was odd how the feeling came over me and lingered.

When I scroll through Facebook, I am reminded of the need to get the American public to think critically about what they read.  That is one of the objectives of the Common Core.  On Facebook, I've found Einstein quotes that were not his quotes.  Recently someone posted that a Chinese figure skater had tested positive for homosexuality, so none of the Chinese could compete at the Sochi Olympics.  It was ridiculous, yet some posters fell for it.  They responded about how awful that was and that it wasn't fair.  Others questioned it, but they didn't seem to know how to determine if it was accurate or not.  The first thing I looked at was the source of the quote and it was some crappy unreliable website.  Common sense also comes into play--there is no test for homosexuality.  It is absolutely imperative that we do our best to get the public to think critically, especially about important issues that have been clouded with misinformation.  Think climate change.

It irks me when I see empty idling cars.  A week or two ago, I walked into town and saw two with no sign of the drivers.  Next time I go walking (today), I'm leaving anti-idling brochures on windshields of idling vehicles.

Since the temperature has returned to bitter cold, I've decided to post my icicle collection.  The icicle is the same in all photographs, but the vantage point and light differ.





No comments:

Post a Comment