Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chautauqua - the place




Chautauqua Institution is unique. I know of no other place like it. It's not really a town, but more like a gated village devoted to the arts. It straddles Chautauqua Lake. At the front gate, there's a schedule of all the events that happen during the week. Lectures, concerts, animal shows.....all occur in open air buildings. The houses have small yards overflowing with flowers. Jerry Spinelli told me he and his wife bought a house in Chautauqua because they loved it so much. My first impression was that it was quaint.

The bottom photograph is the amphitheater where we saw Tommy James and the Shondells. The middle photograph is the lecture hall where I sat during lunch and also met my mentor, Andy Boyles. Many times during the week I'd walk past the lecture hall and hear someone speaking. The top photograph is the view from the front porch of the Athenaeum where I stayed. It's a magnificent historic hotel that has had many famous guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment