Sunday, November 13, 2011





Yesterday at the Connecticut Appalachian Club Annual Gathering, I spoke about climate change. The audience was engaged, answering my questions and at the same time asking plenty of their own. They were astounded during the hands-on science portion of the presentation. It was the same reaction I got when I demoed this presentation in front of a group of Toastmasters. Overall, it went well although I plan to tweak a few things next time.

At the Gathering, I enjoyed speaking with Russ from the Conservation Committee. He built a great display of energy saving devices that many people aren't aware of. It seems the biggest hurdle for AMC, the Climate Change Education Communication Group (formerly the CT Climate Change Education Committee) and myself is finding the proper channel to get information out to as many people as possible.

Today, I volunteered at the CT Children's Book Fair at the University of Connecticut. There was quite a crowd. I peeked in as Mo Willems was giving a dynamic presentation to a crowded room of kids. They had a great lineup of authors, Jane Yolen, Tomie DePaola, and David MacAulay to name a few.

Since I didn't take any photographs at either event this weekend, I will post more more on Storm Alfred. The October snowstorm sent trees limbs crashing down all over my neighbor's lawn. I was in the street when I took the third photo--and so was the tree. The storm left so many fallen limbs that now four foot high brush piles line the streets like fences. Despite the destruction some good came out of the storm. I love love love my new energy star refrigerator and we also picked up an LED camping light!

No comments:

Post a Comment