Monday, June 24, 2013

21st Century Children's Nonfiction Conference - the wildlife

Red-tailed hawk
First of all, I didn't go to this conference looking for wildlife, it just happened.  I burned the candle at both ends while I was in New Paltz.  Late one night, we went on a field trip to check out the racy signs in the ladies' room, but that's not the wildlife I'm talking about.
Suny, New Paltz

Sunday morning, I got up too early and I knew that getting back to sleep wasn't going to happen, so I strolled by the ponds outside the Student Union where the conference was held.  In a matter of minutes, I got lost in the sound of songbirds.
Muskrat

While I was taking a photograph of the ducklings, a muskrat popped its head out of the water.  I sat on a rock watching it until it disappeared.  Then I walked a short ways and stopped.  Across the pond, a red-tailed hawk swooped down low, landing on a weeping willow limb.  It eyed those ducklings like they were dinner rolls.  I SO enjoyed that walk in solitude and found it hard to pry myself away, but I'm glad I did because it turned out to be another great day for nonfiction.
  




No comments:

Post a Comment