Sunday, June 2, 2013

MOOC and Enchanted Rock

Add caption
I'm taking my first MOOC, or massive open online course.  The free 10-week course, Climate Literacy: Navigating Climate Change Conversations, is excellent.  Recently, I received an email with these words, "Based on the community survey results, there are participants from 139 different countries, ranging in age from 16 to 60, with all levels of experience with climate science and policy issues."  Unfortunately, reading and taking notes on video lectures is taking more time than I anticipated, but I'm learning so much about a topic that I considered myself quite knowledgeable about.  The discussion forums are loaded with information, links, and banter about all aspects of climate change science from all parts of the world.  The class makes me more determined than ever to get the facts out about this critical issue.

If you click on the photo, you can see two tiny people at the top.
I've updated the "climate change" portion of this website to include information about the scientific consensus of climate scientists (97.1% of ALL climate research papers that take a position on the cause of climate change point to anthropogenic causes).  I've also added links that connect the tobacco movement to the counter climate change movement (i.e the smoking is NOT bad for your health movement).

On a lark, while we were in Texas, we decided to hike at Enchanted Rock State Natural Area.  The park ranger said it takes most people 40 minutes to get to the top of the pink granite dome.  We took that as a challenge.  Walt thought we hiked up in 20 minutes, but without a watch, we don't know for certain.  We baked in the hot Texas sun, so it was a welcome relief to find a cave up there.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment