Saturday, June 10, 2017

Picacho Peak, Arizona

Picacho Peak (taken from the car while on the highway)
I'm astonished at how much time has passed since I last posted. Right now, I'm busy writing passages and line items for a major test. The process is taking longer than I expected, but the amount of work has doubled. What started out as chemistry and physics work has now grown to include Earth science and biology. The work requires some thinking, but creativity is sorely lacking. 

The cables got progressively more challenging.
It's getting a little steeper. Gloves are recommended for this hike.
In April, I volunteered at the New England SCBWI Conference and two days later, I attended it. I'm so glad I went. It was nice reconnecting with the gang from Falling Leaves and with a science writer I met at the AAAS conference in Boston this past February. It was even nicer getting a long list of editors and agents I could submit to.

This was insane! I was trembling a little bit here.
On the way down, a gust of wind swept my new sunhat off my head. I ventured beyond the cable to retrieve it (scary).
When I was in Arizona in March, we hiked Picacho Peak. Someone from town suggested it and said he loved that hike. I read up on it before going, so I knew it was going to be a challenge (understatement). In the top photo, you hike up on the left side until you reach the cliff wall. Then you trek to the right and go up and over the middle (the saddle). To climb the peak, you hike it from the back and end up on the left peak. Sounds simple (laughs).  Walt called this the most hazardous hike we've ever done.  



What a gorgeous view!



No comments:

Post a Comment