Sunday, October 12, 2008

Before the race, I was amused at the song playing that applied to both writing and running "And even when your hope is gone, move along move along just to make it through."

In ideal conditions, I finished my first half-marathon in 2:17. Given the 2.5 months of prep time, I don't think I could have run it any faster. During the last three tough miles I learned some things that also apply to writing .
1) Don't make assumptions. It is very disheartening to think you only have 2 miles left when you really have 3.
2) Run your own race. This I did.
3) Get the facts. I'd hear "only 1 mile left." Then I'd run a little further and the water station would shout out "1.5 miles left." Then there was the man at the corner shouting "only a 1/4 of a mile." I'd run a bit further and the water station would yell "just a 1/4 of a mile."
4) Do your best
5) Believe you can do it. I made a tyvek sign and posted it on my back. It read "You can do it!" it was as much for me as it was for those behind me and I was hoping there was at least 1 person!
5) Don't drink gatoraid WHILE you are running. Cough Cough sputter (just want to see if you're paying attention).

Along the way I passed a young guy with one leg doing the race on crutches. He was sweating profusely. "You are incredible," was all I had to say.

I doubt I will do another one. In the future, I'm saving my joints for the mountains I love and spending my time on those things that matter most.

No comments:

Post a Comment