Sunday, April 5, 2009

Last night I had a dream I was painting with white paint. It's not far from the truth in more ways than one. Yesterday I tested white paint under a black light and I also gave some thought as to how I go about writing science material . First, I read all the research papers, books, and internet material. Then I try and paint a picture on paper as I write, without being terribly concerned about accuracy. I refer back to my sources for details. If a writer is dwelling on accuracy as they write each line, the writing is stiff, scientific and factual. Boring. After the whole thing is revised a zillion times, I take a nit comb (ewww thankfully, I've never needed one!) and go through it line by line for accuracy.

But before I had this dream, Sherlock woke and thought of more questions about the ink:
If it's real - Can the ink be duplicated? Does the result fluoresce? Is there some source of paint/ink at the settlement site? Could ink components have come from the sea?
If it's fake - White paint + yellow + yellow ochre (gold) = whitish yellow paint, not brown. How long before that paint gets brown? Would a forger want to wait? Is there a way to accelerate the brown color via heat, sunshine....? What about a little shoe polish?

No comments:

Post a Comment