Wednesday, October 27, 2010



On the beach in Chatham, Cape Cod we watched some seals feeding in the water. Admittedly, they were tricky to photograph because they didn't stay still very long.

Today, I emailed my revised article!!!!!!! This article gave me a lot of grief because my approach never seemed to be the approach the editor was looking for. However, I really like the way it has evolved. It took a while for me to rethink the ending, but I'm quite pleased with it. I've been pondering exactly why this article was troublesome. Maybe there is something to be learned here. I'd say there were a number of factors. My world was pretty rattled when I first started writing it. The article also contains an enormous amount of information. Also, I think I'm the kind of person that takes a statement to the extreme. For instance, the editor's words, "they're not babies," echoed in my head as I wrote.

It reminds me of the time I played on a softball team after work. Having no skill in the sport, my husband showed me how to hit the ball. I did everything exactly as he told me. Yes, the steps were correct, but I swung like a robot, no fluidity. However, after finally getting down the process, I ended up with the nickname "Wheels." Since I could consistently get on base, I was also the lead batter. After mastering batting, I moved on. I don't think I'll ever master writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment