Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I was quite happy to get the mail yesterday. An article I wrote earlier this year placed in the 2011 Writer-editors Network International Writing Competition. It competed against poems, picture books, YA book chapters and other works of fiction and came in second. The article is unpublished and unpurchased. Granted, I'm about the only one that is delighted as I've read this kind of news is of little fanfare to agents, editors and publishing houses. For me, placing in a contest is something to strive for, a challenge to meet. I don't think I'm alone in my views. Last year, the PEN committee selected my chapter as a winner and so did this same contest.

I should finish my book on writing today. It has helped me clean up some superfluous wording. Yesterday, I removed four adjectives and today I revised the ending once more by rearranging and revising some sentences. One of the questions I want to ask my writer friends is if the organization should be changed. Currently it looks like a sandwich with scientist 1 being the bread: Scientist 1, scientist 2, scientist 3, scientist 1. I'm wondering if the stuff at the end should be put together so it would more like an open-faced sandwich: Scientist 1, 2, 3. I've got about a week before I get input. The scientist 1 stuff at the end is pretty exciting, so I'm thinking it might be a letdown to move it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment