Saturday, September 1, 2012

Zion National Park - The Narrows

I expect to be quite busy churning out pages in September, so I'm not sure how often I'll be posting here.  It has been a long while since we've had a writing group meeting.  Next week, I'll meet my friends to review material.



These photographs were taken while we were hiking The Narrows in Zion National Park.  It was an exciting and fascinating hike in a slot canyon.  We rented water socks, special shoes, and a pole from Zion Adventure just outside the park.  With temperatures at 105°F, the cool interior of this canyon was the only place to beat the heat.  We hiked in and out of water that at times was up to our waists.  Fun, fun, fun!  I LOVED this hike and sloshing through the water!  It was rated a difficult hike, but I didn't find it hard at all, except I had to be careful of my footing.  At one point I thought I heard the boom of thunder.  Thankfully, it wasn't a thunderstorm.  Some kids were doing cannonballs off a big boulder.  It would have been dangerous to be in this slot canyon during a thunderstorm because of flash flooding.  There would have been  no place to escape.  Phew!

Next time, I'll post about the wildlife I spotted in Zion.

No comments:

Post a Comment