Saturday, December 13, 2008

Last night I was at a Xmas party for the Air Management Systems of UTC (think A/C in aircraft). Anyhow, I was introduced to about 10 people out of about 250. After one woman inquired about what I do, I mentioned my tidbits about my latest article. Then she told me something even more amazing, a remarkable coincidence. A few weeks ago she went to her high school class reunion in NJ (the party was in CT) and talked to her old high school chemistry partner, none other then the Nobel Prize winning chemist, Dr. Roger Tsien. She told me she emailed him recently. We were both pretty astounded to hear each others stories. She called him brilliant and said you'd never know he won such a prestigious honor. He was very low-key.

Then I was introduced to another woman who was a writer too. She has her own column (can't believe I found this!) in a newspaper where she interviews people with a story to tell. Some were very sad, but she wrote about them to let readers know how these unfortunate folks had overcome obstacles. She talked about her DVR. She uses one for in-person interviews. My interviews are email/phone, so our needs are different, but I've been mulling it over for a few weeks now.

Who knew that in a roomful of A/C folks I'd find such a connection? And to top it all off we went home with a raffled soup basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment