Friday, February 19, 2010

Back in 2005 when I was working on "The Beavers that Struck it Rich", I noticed an error in Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia. In January of this year, I happened to come across a Grzimek's booth at the Boston ALA Convention. It jarred my memory and I mentioned it. Afterward, I followed up by emailing two pages of the encyclopedia to someone at Thomson/Gale.

This morning I received this email:
"Just wanted to let you know that we're going to be processing some corrections to the text in Grzimek's this week, and our beloved North American and Eurasian Beavers are going to be included. Finally, they'll get their due."

Does finding an error make the whole encyclopedia a bunch of rubbish? I don't think so. Then it follows that a couple of errors in climate data should not at all diminish the work of many dedicated scientists in many countries as some folks are trying to get everyone to believe.

Today, among the crowds at the university, I found 7 research papers. Unfortunately, some research papers were unavailable because the subscription had been canceled.

No comments:

Post a Comment