Thursday, January 8, 2009

Two nights ago, I was at the local library scooping up some books so I could examine the layout. The librarian asked if there was anything in particular I was looking for. I told her I was looking for science books written as a story, books that had won awards. She had her pen handy and was taking all this down. I gave her one topic that I was particularly interested in. New budgets come out in January and the head librarian had money to spend.

The shelves were stacked with all kinds of nonfiction, but much of it was not something you could read. I thought it would be really helpful if libraries distinguished the nonfiction story books from the reference books that are merely collections of facts. All Y/A books have a bold "Y/A" on the spine, why don't they put a big "S" (story), "CN" (creative nonfiction) or "NS" (nonfiction story) on the spine of a nonfiction book that can be read aloud? This way parents and teachers could easily find these books.

2 comments:

  1. You are probably familiar with Jean Craighead George's works (?). Julie of the Wolves (Newberry medal winner) and My Side of the Mountain (Newberry honor book). George's body of work is primarily nature-focused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did very well with her latest book, "The Wolves are Back." It's very nicely written.

    ReplyDelete