Friday, January 9, 2009

Yesterday, I made tracks - literally. My upcoming class about wolves and a study in Banff National Park is on Valentines Day. I really want the kids to understand what it's like to be a scientist tracking wolves so I'm hoping the weather cooperates and we can go outside. It just won't be the same tracking wolves through the hallways of a college. Anyhow, I started making plaster casts from a well-traveled bucket of casting compound (it went on a trip to AK). Although I had fun, I soon realized that I needed many more tracks and these were going to be heavy and fragile. Wind and wet surfaces were also potential scenarios. I went online to find an actual size print of a wolf using Google images. I printed it and saw how tiny it was. Was this a troll wolf? It was 1/2 actual size so I enlarged it. I ended up with laminated wolf tracks with a hole punched in them to secure them to the ground with a nail.

No comments:

Post a Comment