Monday, May 23, 2011




My internet connection is still slow and spotty. They told us three days ago it would be fixed in three days. This is getting old.

I spent the weekend doing a great deal of revising and now the article is much more polished although the last two or three paragraphs still need work. My daughter picked it up and snickered at the title so I am trying to come up with a new more enticing one for this wildly exciting topic.

I'm waiting for a book about writing to arrive. In the meantime, I've been reading lots of books by Chautauqua faculty. Some of my favorites are:
The Underneath by Kathi Appelt - beautifully written.
Gator Gumbo by Candace Fleming - SO cute and flavorful language. Great illustrations.
Where Horses Run Free - by Joy Cowley - A really nice story where you really feel for those horses
Time Flies by Eric Rohmann - A fast read (no words!). Neat idea to pair the now with the then.
The Prairie Builders - by Sneed Collard - Nicely written unusual story about rebuilding a prairie.

"The Battle Against Invasive Species" by Sneed Collard came to mind as I yanked up Asian bittersweet yesterday. I've seen those orange roots before, but I always thought they were the roots of my Rose of Sharon (which I have taken to calling the Rose of Linda!). I noticed the invasive plant had snaked around a branch, choking the life out of it. A couple of branches of bittersweet had worked their way to the top of the "Rose of Linda" and reached up into our oak tree (bottom photo you can see it coming in from the right). I sawed and snipped the stalks. Now what's left of bittersweet has been severed from its roots. For now, I win this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment