Thursday, May 7, 2009

Tulips

Somewhere in the soaking woods, there's a grief stricken robin. After finding the three eggs in the dirt this afternoon, I scooped them up with a spoon. Carefully, I pushed the nest back in the crook of the rhododendron tree and put the eggs back as good as new. Normally, they hatch in 12-14 days. That's pretty fast. But I am sad to say the robin did not return. This evening, angry rain punished the innocent eggs. I hold out little hope they will hatch.

Afterward, as I sat outside reading in my Adirondack chair, I thought about the eggs I tried in vain to save and was reminded of a scientist I wrote about not too long ago. Interesting similarities. I was looking forward to posting pictures of the eggs cracking and baby chicks. It was not meant to be.

But for every sad story there is a happy one. I've included a picture looking down through the crowns of my "royalty tulips" (I obviously forgot their real name). They remind me of sliced starfruit dressed in red.

No comments:

Post a Comment