Thursday, May 21, 2009

This is what it's like to be a writer.....

Yesterday, my 2,000 word article came back from the repair shop covered in red ink. There were 48 (give or take a few) questions added that I need to answer, delete, or talk my way out of. That's one question for every 40 or so words. But whose counting? Questions like "where?" "why should they?" "when?" "how did she do that?" Answering these questions will inevitably increase the size of this manuscript which I've been assured is fine.

My mother is always telling me I ask a lot of questions. I wonder what this editor's mother tells him. I suspect he's been put up for adoption for harassment.

Today, I added a descriptive paragraph. It's a good thing I don't write fiction. I'm not sure I'd ever finish a manuscript the way I spend so much time tossing descriptive words in the air. But there is one sentence I wrote that I'm particularly fond of. That's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment