Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Today I amused myself by pretending I was a forger. I wanted to see what kind of browns I could make from grape gelatin, yellow ochre and titanium white. I also wanted to see how long it would take a mixture like this to dry - would a forger have enough time to sprinkle soot on the ink? Another thing I was interested in was how would a line look if soot were sprinkled on to wet ink. Well, I didn't have any soot. The closest thing I could find was small granular black embossing powder that is used for rubber stamping. Conclusions: The gelatin definitely needs to be dissolved in hot water before using otherwise it's grainy. There is time to sprinkle soot before the "ink" dries. The color was a golden brown and I'm not sure if it's dark enough to match iron gall ink. Note: I sprinkled my name in various places with powder, but made no attempt to cover it completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment